Walkfest 2020 is nearly upon us!
In most years, we have known fairly early in the year roughly what the Walkfest programme would look like. That certainly hasn’t been the case this year. With Covid and the consequent Government guidance, the past few months have been a real rollercoaster for the small team of volunteers who have worked so hard to make Walkfest 2020 a reality. A big round of applause for them!
But the event wouldn’t be happening at all if it wasn’t for the various walking groups and their leaders who have been prepared to put their heads above the parapet. They have organised walks which are appropriate and compliant with the current restrictions – and turned them into an exciting programme. I take my hat off to them.
The other key players are, of course, the various sponsors who have underwritten the costs of creating and running this month long programme of walks. Thank you to them too. You can find them listed under the Sponsors button on the front page of this website.
So what have we got? Well, the details can obviously be found from the 2020 Walks listing which can be accessed by its own button on the website but, as a snapshot:
· Town Guides walks – a fascinating series of walks where you can be almost guaranteed to learn something new about Guildford and its history
· An evening walk along the North Downs Way from Farnham to Guildford – a must for those who like the countryside as dusk falls and the night opens up new views and sounds
· Another of the ever popular walks & talks by our local historian – David Rose
· Visits to Guildford’s hidden nature reserve and riverside park
· A range of short and sociable walks hosted by the various Walking for Health groups based around Guildford
· Contributions from Guildford Rambling Club for those who prefer a longer walk in the borough
· Several walks led by Keith Chesterton – the father of Guildford Walkfest – who, this year is working alongside Surrey Hills Society to host his walks
· And many more – some led by local parish, church or other groups – but all exciting and giving the chance to enjoy the fresh air scenery and enjoyment on offer in the borough
With such a line-up, why wouldn’t you want to be part of Guildford Walkfest 2020? Check out the full programme, make your bookings and enjoy a wonderful September of walks.